A Rain Trueax blog created as a place to discuss ideas and explore differences. First will be my opinion, when something has tweaked my interest or I've seen an article I want to share. Then will come your opinion if you choose to comment. This gives us a chance to have a dialogue where we sometimes agree to disagree. Such conversations are, in my opinion, always win/wins. (Of course, I'd believe that-- I am a moderate).

In the sidebar are political sites and blogs. I don't have to agree with them. They are not hate spewing (that is a bridge too far) but they are partisan and discussing political issues of the day. BUT, if they consistently only have a partisan agenda-- and they annoy me-- they disappear for a time-- or forever depending on whether they change the 'error' of their ways ;)

Thursday, June 01, 2017

learning to let go

Half the country is again upset-- this time at the US pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord (Treaty in other countries around the world). Half, of course, are delighted that a politician keeps his word, and those halves don't count the people around the world who are also upset but may not know what was in the Agreement. I went looking for it to include in an update to this blog. It's not particularly long at 16 pages, but the language definitely requires some interpretation to figure out exactly what it all means-- and maybe can be reinterpreted with time. 

I felt it was a globalist document more than just climate but try it for yourself and see what you think. I think it's important we try to understand things for ourselves as the alternative is to let someone else tell us what it means. Who do you trust for that?


I think this is a good time for most of us, whatever side we are on, to avoid the news for at least a few days. Time to concentrate on our own lives, gardens, and let the world go by. We can't change any of it right now-- either way. We don't have the full facts on it, and the media is going to run with this hoping to get higher ratings. They don't care if that makes people sick. It will all shake out with time.


Just for fun, I tried Dreamscope on the rose photo, our first tea rose of this spring.  The results weren't what I expected. I think life is a lot that way right now-- not what we expected but do we know what it is? It depends on to whom you are listening as to the answer you have for that.

2 comments:

Ingineer66 said...

The Senate would not ratify the treaty so we never really were in it, but it was a sham anyway. China and India were exempt for 11 more years and it would have cost us millions of jobs and billions of dollars that would have gone to other countries.

Rain Trueax said...

I wrote this in one of my liberal friends' Facebook. I expect her readers to be enraged by it but I don't think most Americans know what Obama signed.

I wonder what is in the Accord? Has anyone read it to know? He based his rejection of it on the economic aspects to it with the talk that the US would continue to do what it's been doing except using cleaner coal and oil. What he said was the deal was stacked against us allowing India and China to continue using coal and not doing much about cleaner air. I did listen to the speech yesterday, which I don't usually do but felt I should. Now I am interested in finding what Obama signed last summer and whose version of it is the truth. Half of the US wanted the country to pull out and half is ready to tar and feather him over it, defending even the comedian for her photo. But has anyone actually read what was in the deal? (The companies that signed petitions supporting it were mostly techie not manufacturing, not construction. They were like Apple-- manufacturing elsewhere more accurately)

Some say it was not enforceable while others say it would have mired us in lawsuits and really was all about slowing our economy while helping India and China. I don't see pulling out as meaning much for what we might do about CO2, but is he right that as long as we only had 1% growth, we were okay on using renewables only but at 3% which is what he said we should be doing, we'd have brownouts if we didn't use coal. etc. I don't honestly know the truth of it but allowing someone else to dictate our laws (TPP did that) can't be good when we don't elect the ones doing it.

Every time I come to FB, I see the rage from the left and get how upset people are. I just don't know what was in that Accord. With my husband having been involved now in four startup companies, with stocks being part of our retirement, I have an interest in our economy growing along with jobs, but with grandkids, I care about global climate change and maybe reaching a tipping point, but from what I've heard of the Accord (from both sides) it would do a lot to impact economies, improving some and hurting others-- and anything regarding heating was in the future with not much impact on some of the biggest sources of CO2, with more to come.

When I write the end on this book's rough draft, I will try to find the actual words in the treaty (which didn't get ratified here despite Obama signing it). It's like so many things, I know what others think-- on both sides. I just don't know if it was a good deal for parts of our economy already struggling.