Wednesday, May 21, 2014

time to pony up!

Primaries are over in most states and now comes the real challenge for progressives to see the Senate stay in Democratic hands. I have to say it's not like I am always thrilled with Dems but when I look at the alternative, it's just plain scary. I was pleased that Mitch McConnell will face a real challenge from Alison Grimes for the Kentucky Senate. Wouldn't that be a good day if he got unseated! I will be donating to her campaign. Same with Michelle Nunn in Georgia. Being Sam Nunn's daughter gives her a good chance to take that seat for the Left.

In Oregon we had the usual choices and I will be donating where I always have like for John Kitzhaber for Governor; Jeff Merkley for US Senate; and Pete DeFazio for Representative. If it looks close for Kurt Schrader in my own district, I'd donate there too but Defazio faces the same right wing nutjob that he did previously and the guy has the money to fund himself.  In fact when I look at who any of the Democrats are running against, it's obvious that the Tea Party has won in terms of driving all Republicans to the right. They might have not had any candidates who won with the Tea Party label but to beat them the others went farther right than they ever have. Even the left is farther right than it used to be.

So for those who care about schools, infrastructure, fair taxation, avoiding needless wars, reasonable policies on climate change, and pretty much anything the government does, find out who you like out there and vote with your donations before it's too late. The big bucks are already out for ads that can often turn a race. If enough small donors give, it's an equalizer. 

For anybody who thinks it doesn't matter, all you have to do is  look at states controlled by the right for how the people end up on things like abortion. They couldn't make it illegal-- yet; but they sure have made it impossible to get safe procedures. If that's what you want, then I guess you know who to vote for-- otherwise look to Democrats to at least stop the craziness of war over Benghazi or the Ukraine (has John McCain ever seen a possible war he didn't love?). There is time later to put pressure on them to be reasonable on economics. Right now it's all about stopping social policies that most Americans do not agree with and getting a Congress who wants to do more than impeach a sitting president!

And if you have a candidate who you think needs donations, please post their state and name so I can look at where they stand on the issues that matter most to me. It's not just abortion but I have to say when men don't think a woman can make a sensible decision regarding her own body, then they definitely often have some other odd ideas about women, minorities and anybody but the rich!

6 comments:

Ingineer66 said...

The most populous state still has to wait until June for our primary.

I read an article where Schrader will likely be the winner, but he has never got more than 55% of the vote so it is not a lock.

Rain Trueax said...

You could be right. There is a lot of big money out there. If though they start not getting results for their donations, it will change what they do. :) It's all on whether Americans care enough or is it all about who won Dancing with the Stars...

Ingineer66 said...

Never watched Dancing with the Stars, but I do know who won the Amazing Race so I guess I fit in with the rest of America. I watch it to see places that I may or may not want to visit at some point in the future. I am pretty sure India will never be a place that I travel to. But there are plenty of other counties that I would like to see.

Rain Trueax said...

Nothing wrong with watching entertainment or wanting to travel but just I think if we all donated $5 or 10 to candidates with our values, it would counter-balance the extremely wealthy whether that's a Soros or Koch.

Ingineer66 said...

I made the largest political donation of my life earlier this year for a local state legislative race. But it looks like I probably backed the second place finisher. Oh well. And he is not even somebody that I would consider a great candidate. Just better than the rest.

Rain Trueax said...

but you are putting yourself into the mix, ingineer, giving yourself a voice. It may not be enough but it's better than doing nothing. Congratulations :)