Saturday, December 11, 2010

Reconciliation

I have a question for anybody who reads this blog and understands more about the political scene than I do. Why can't the Democrats use Reconciliation to pass the limited tax measure that keeps the tax rate what it is on income up to $250,000 and raises it to the level it was under Clinton for those in the upper income tax brackets? That is how this unfunded tax measure was passed to begin-- why not use it now?

Robert Reich gave his opinion on the measure and you can find it in his blog bookmarked alongside here. I am sure most already read Krugman's take. Those who favor it, like AARP, have other motives like their own profits or Clinton's desire to back a Democratic president. I haven't changed my mind that it's a mistake and would be better to let it all collapse than do this. I do not think it will permanently help anything and it will add to a deficit that is already out of control. The Democrats have the majority for now and come January they won't be able to do anything. They are acting like the Republicans already have control.

1 comment:

Kay Dennison said...

I think you are unequivocally and absolutely right.